Fowlds Cafe is a well loved and established neighbourhood joint and it was opened in March 2014 by business partners Jack and Hanne with investment and support from nearby Addington Square residents.
It offers delicious coffee, cakes, pastries, fresh bread and a daily seasonal changing menu of delicious sandwiches, soups and salads, all from the frontage of one of South London’s oldest upholsterers (est 1870). Fowlds Cafe takes over the front space of the working upholstery workshop with the two businesses coexisting side by side in a unique partnership.
The mission is and always has been to provide high quality, great tasting food, coffee and drinks to local residents and visitors to this neighbourhood corner of Camberwell.
The job holder will be responsible for the smooth daily operation of Fowlds Cafe 7 days a week.
The role is responsible for managing their own team of staff, recruitment, maintaining stock levels, meeting and exceeding revenue targets, working to a monthly budget, maintaining the image of the business at all times and ensuring a high quality of service to our customers.
The role will report weekly to the owners with bi-weekly management meetings to ensure the business is running smoothly and that there is adequate support where needed.
£20,800 per annum + tips & bonuses + statutory holiday pay (to include 35 hours on shift + 5 hours admin per week).
Activities, Duties and Key Tasks
- Managing a team of approximately 8 part-time staff with support from a full time assistant manager
- Carry out a strong recruitment policy in order to maintain a balanced team and ensure morale is high at all times
- Maintain stock levels to ensure service is uninterrupted
- Meet and exceed revenue targets based on previous trade history
- Work to a monthly budget of staffing costs and general purchases
- Create a rota every 3-weeks and insure that shifts are adequately staffed with the right balance of skills and personalities
- Maintain the friendly, relaxed, welcoming image of Fowlds Cafe
- Ensure a high level of friendly and efficient customer service at all times
- Maintain good quality food and drink service at all times
- Report weekly to the owners with a bi-weekly management meeting
- Maintain a good working relationship with ever present landlord Bob Fowlds
- Suggest ideas for new products and keep an eye on current trends both in food and coffee ensuring that the offer is kept fresh and engaging
- Keep wastage to a minimum and ensure stock checks are regularly carried out
- Manage social media channels to fit within brand guidelines, project the image of Fowlds Cafe, advertise products and engage customers
- Ensure that equipment is well maintained and annually serviced
- Offer promotional ideas and be prepared to implement them
- Continually looking for ways to streamline the operation of the business
- Be able to reach wage percentage targets of 22-25%
- Be well versed in food hygiene and ensure that both front and back of house are kept clean and presentable at all times
- Cafe management or assistant management experience (1-2 years minimum)
- A comprehensive knowledge of either food or coffee or both
- Excellent interpersonal and motivational skills
- Strong leadership attributes
- Business awareness and interest
- Strong time management skills
- Strong initiative and self confidence
- Ambitious and keen to hit revenue targets that will be met with bonuses
- Comfortable with being firm but fair with staff
- A technical knowledge of cafe equipment such as the coffee machine and grinders
- Knowledge of good quality suppliers
- Food hygiene certificate level 2
- First aid qualifications